May was college graduation...everyone thinks you should be excited for something like this but for me it was, and still is, scary and intimidating... real life is happening, the future is now, and I feel like I'm tripping over that whole "the world is at my feet" cliche. Everyone keeps asking, "now what"? Yeah, I'd like to know too... Now what? I have a B.S. in Business as well as a B.S. in Natural Horsemanship, but am I really ready to jump into the professional world? Where do I even start to get my feet wet? And what about the rest of my life? Where is it going? I'll be 25 in October, a quarter of my life (if I'm lucky to live long enough to be 100) will soon be earmarked by...hopefully an exciting and memorable birthday party... but then what? How are my personal relationships developing? Am I nurturing those in my life that are closest to me? What am I doing now to set my career up for success in the near future? How am I growing spiritually? What do I need to do to take care of myself better physically, mentally, and emotionally? What is the status of my financial health? My student loans, savings, retirement plans? In 5 years and roughly 3 months, when I turn 30, will I have a house? A husband? Perhaps a child?
I thought that maybe I was having a mid life crisis...until I came upon a wonderful website (thank you Aimee for sharing it with me!), Stratejoy, that better coined it a Quarter-Life Crisis. I read every page of the website and upon completion felt that Molly Hoyne (founder) had hit the nail on the head and I too could benefit from her fresh perspective on living life and achieving personal success and happiness however I choose to define it. The long days of feeling lost, restless, scared, depressed, and worried about the now and the future will diminish and hopefully vanish if I work hard enough at living life for me and foster the relationships I have with my dearest friends and family.
This journal is my first step in tracking my life and helping myself become accountable for the goals I set and the choices I make. So this week I'm letting go of my preconceived expectations in life... Those regarding success, beauty, and happiness. It is what I make it...but what will that be?
How to Be Free: A Beginner's Guide
No comments:
Post a Comment